The National Model of care provides information on the continuum of care for patients including pre operative care, surgery, post operative and rehabilitation care.
Within this section of the Hip and Knee Replacement Toolkit you will find information regarding the pre-operative activities of patients waiting for or about to undergo hip or knee replacement surgery including:
- Referral processes.
- Wait times management.
- Assessing patient condition and health.
- Optimizing patient physical status.
- Educating patient and patient family.
- Creating or providing suitable patient and family education materials.
This section of the Hip and Knee Replacement Toolkitincludes information on the following:
- Pre-operative medical clearance process.
- Optimizing patient safety immediately prior to and during surgery.
- Scheduling surgeries and achieving surgical case accuracy.
- Ensuring appropriate and necessary staffing.
- Achieving targets for the number of surgeries scheduled per day.
- Confirming the supplies and equipment for individual surgeries and procedures.
The project will focus on issues concerning patient discharge and the pathway to recovery including:
- Clinical care and length of stay.
- Access to necessary rehabilitation.
It is recommended that any planning for system improvements uses a cross continuum approach where patients receive education per and post operatively to optimize their recovery.