Primary care providers have varied levels of training in the management of low back pain and thus require professional development to enhance LBP assessment and management skills and confidence in providing evidenced-based care for patients through the continuum of care.
Continuing Professional Development needs to be offered in multiple formats including online and face-to-face sessions and made available to the entire inter-professional team with consistent messaging based on best evidence
Professional development may include:
- Continuing Medical Education-accredited programs in LBP assessment and management for Primary Care Providers
- Train the trainer approaches whenever possible
- Electronic decision support training
- Training re: appropriate referral to investigation / specialist programs (e.g. ISAEC vs. specialist)
- Include specific modules in challenging areas (e.g. work and activity prescription)
Primary care education: CEP web based education
Web-based education for primary care in the assessment and management of low back pain.
Primary care education: SK Spine Pathway
Web-based education for primary care in the assessment and management of low back pain